[OAI-implementers] Requesting a part of a record possible with OAI-OMH?

Joachim Wackerow wackerow@zuma-mannheim.de
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:57:48 +0100

Is it possible to offer/request only a part of a record with OAI-PMH?

For example: exists a way to request only the "dc:title" of an identifier?

I browsed the open archives web site and found only the verb
"GetRecord". In addition to offer or request a whole record, we would
like to offer or request only one element of a XML document stored in a
record.

Background:
Requesting a whole record with DC information is no problem. But we are
thinking about using OAI-PMH to offer DDI-structured information on
social science surveys. DDI is an extensive description format (in XML)
with ca. 300 elements on surveys (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/). For
some scenarios it would be more effective to offer/request only one
element or one element group of the xml document.

Regards, Achim
--
ZUMA - Centre for Survey Research and Methodology