[OAI-implementers] SOAP-PMH

Joachim Wackerow wackerow at zuma-mannheim.de
Wed Dec 8 04:35:59 EST 2004

I think, OAI has done the right thing (OAI-PMH is based on the REST
model) at the right time (in a time when SOAP was not well established).
This approach was probably one of the reasons of the large success of
OAI-PMH.

It seems to me, that now - when SOAP is well established - a migration
of OAI to SOAP is advicable. This would give the chance to use SOAP
tools and to open OAI for other purposes. As fare as I know, OAI-PMH is
mainly used for metadata on publications (i.e. Dublin Core based).

I am interested to have a protocol for harvesting and also for specific
retrieval of one record or only a part of this record. My background is
metadata of social science data (DDI - Data Documentation Initiative).
This standard has ca. 300 elements and the DDI documents could grow
large. On "requesting a part of a record" see an older discussion thread:
http://www.openarchives.org/pipermail/oai-implementers/2004-January/001137.html

Regards, Achim