[OAI-implementers] SOAP-PMH

John Weatherley jweather at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 7 19:26:04 EST 2004

I agree that there are a number of tools that make working with SOAP
convenient in most major programming languages. In Java, for example,
developers can use Apache Axis or Sun's J2EE 1.4 tools to create bindings
at both ends of a SOAP service, and other languages have similar tools
available. In addition, standards are emerging for SOAP that natively
support things like authorization and authentication, integrity and
privacy, etc.

One could argue that REST-full Web services like the OAI-PMH also have a
large number of available tools for working with them.  Developers can
issue REST requests and inspect REST responses in their Web browser;
Major Web browsers can apply XSLT to render a REST response as HTML
automatically; XML parsers and validators are available in all major
languages that make working with REST responses simple pragmatically; etc.

I believe that this high-accessible nature of the OAI-PMH as a REST-full
service helped contribute to it's widespread adoption. Can anyone name a
SOAP service API that has gained the popularity and breadth of use on both
the producer and consumer ends as that of the OAI-PMH or RSS?

Since the SOAP and REST service approaches offer different advantages, I
think it's not a question of whether the OAI-PMH should convert to using
SOAP but rather whether the OAI should consider developing a SOAP version
of the protocol, similar to the Z39.50 ZING initiative, which offers
something similar to both (SRW and SRU).

 - John