[OAI-implementers] SOAP-PMH

will.sexton at duke.edu will.sexton at duke.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:55:45 EST 2004

Would it not be possible to build a SOAP "adapter" for OAI-PMH, ie, a SOAP
implementation that hid calls to the standard OAI harvesting protocol?
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Jeff Young just volunteered :) to do so
something very much like that.

Will

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Joachim Wackerow wrote:

> The Google API is showing, that a big company is investing in SOAP. You
> are right, that the Google API is offered on the searching side. But to
> build an index on OAI resources, a search engine would need the
> possibility to harvest the mentioned 85,000 records. For this purpose a
> search engine would have to invest in OAI-PMH. That is the question: are
> they willing to invest besides of SOAP in the "niche" protocol OAI-PMH?
>
> Achim
>
> Roy Tennant wrote:
>
> > But are we losing track of the fact that OAI-PMH is a _harvesting_
> > protocol and NOT a _searching_ protocol? Are potential SOAP users of
> > OAI data providers clear that the only thing they may be able to do is
> > request 85,000 records in order to get the ten they are really after
> > (the "professor's list of publications" example below)? The Google API,
> > for example, is searching of course, not harvesting. There is a
> > difference.
> > Roy

Will Sexton / Metadata Architect * Research & Content Development
Perkins Library * Duke University / http://www.duke.edu/~wsexton/