[OAI-implementers] Resolver of OAI record Uniqe Identifier

Zeno Tajoli tajoli@cilea.it
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:13:09 +0200

Hi,

At 16.56 22/04/2004, you wrote:
>DP9 provides a similar service like what you described.
>
>http://arc.cs.odu.edu:8080/dp9/resolver.jsp
>
>You may select either "html","xml", or "redirect" as output. The
>"redirect" will redirect to OAI GetRecord page.

In fact a link like
http://arc.cs.odu.edu:8080/dp9/getrecord.jsp?identifier=oai:eprints.rclis.org:830&prefix=oai_dc&output=redirect
is exactly what i need.

Why do I need a similar service ?

I'm developing a service provider to collect the OAI-PMH Data Provider
about Library and Information Science.
I'm studing how to add OpenURL to my service provider. I want that my
service provider will be a "Source" in OpenUrl jargon, like ArXiv.
With the help of Simeon Warner I'm reading the code of ArXiv about OpenUrl.

ArXiv sends to the OpenUrl resolvers (like OpenResolver from Andy Powell)
only the oai-identifier. The resolver reads the oai-identifier and it
understands, from a specific OpenUrl field [called 'sid'], that the
oai-identifier cames from ArXiv.
After those operations, the resolver send a query to a specif gateway of
ArXiv and it recives an XML with all metadata in rfc1807.
Now, the resolver parses the XML, it extract the metadata, and after it
builts the "special effects links"

Send only the oai-identifier is very easy for me, but it is not possible
that resolvers have specific gateway for all OAI-PMH Data Provider. So it
is better to have only one service to do this redirection

>However, this service in DP9 was developed a while ago, and DP9 doesn't
>have the up-to-date list of all data providers.

For me, now, I need only those archive:

Caltech http://caltechlib.library.caltech.edu/perl/oai2
ArchiveSic http://archivesic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/perl/oai20
Tel http://tel.ccsd.cnrs.fr/perl/oai20
MemSic
<http://memsic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/perl/oai20>http://memsic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/perl/oai20
DLIST
<http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/perl/oai2>http://dlist.sir.arizona.edu/perl/oai2
biblio-eprints http://biblio-eprints.bo.cnr.it/perl/oai2
LDL  <http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/oai/>http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/oai/
E-LIS <http://eprints.rclis.org/perl/oai2>http://eprints.rclis.org/perl/oai2

Many are still present in DP9, can you add the missing ones ?

>I can look at this work again if there is interest.

For me DP9 is quite useful as service provider. I can see it as "CrossRef
for OAI-PMH Data Provider"

Thanks for all.

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Zeno Tajoli wrote:
>
> > I'm searching a service provider that can resolve an oai identifier in a
> > query to an xml with the metadata of the record.
> >
> > For example I have the oai identifier ' oai:eprints.rclis.org:830'.
> > I send to the service providere the identifier and nothing else.
> > The service provider:
> > -It undestands that the eprints server is http://eprints.rclis.org
> > -It knows that the eprints server Base URL is
> > http://eprints.rclis.org/perl/oai2/
> > -It sends me that string (the query to harvest the record) :
> >
> http://eprints.rclis.org/perl/oai2/?verb=GetRecord&identifier=oai:eprints.rclis.org:830&metadataPrefix=oai_dc

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it