[OAI-implementers] starting a service

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:24:28 -0500

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been following this list with great interest for several months now.
> This week I signed up to help a local bookbinding organization with
> indexing their newsletter. The Newsletter (that's its title) has been running
> since 1983 and contains a lot of valuable articles to the bookbinding
> community. I've offered to put the current EndNote annotated
> bibliography/index online.
>
> I think this is the sort of resource that should be searchable and
> findable by other people. The problem is, I'm not really sure where to
> start. The web programming bit is easy, I made a little "collaborative
> bibliography" for an organization last year. http://ftpd.maytree.com (I've
> learned much about programming since then!)
>
> Could someone please point me towards articles/URLs/etc on how to make a
> metadata repository?
>
> thank you,
> emma

Another option for a relatively small data provider (< a few thousand
records) is the static repository model recently announced on this list, see:

http://www.openarchives.org/news/oaistaticrepo031010.html

http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-static-repository.htm

http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-gateway.htm

The specification is still in beta, but we (UIUC) and, I believe, Los Alamos
currently have experimental gateways running.  All you would need is a web
accessible XML file that conforms to the gateway specification.

--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects