[OAI-implementers] Sets in and subjects in OAI-PMH

Pete Johnston p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:01:32 +0100

Caroline Arms said:

> I can see reason for wanting branding at the set level, but I
> have been more interested in getting rich set descriptions
> out there to see if harvesters found them useful [the answer
> from the harvesters I care about has been "yes"].  I used
> Dublin Core because it was there.  If someone else wanted to
> create a schema that added a branding element, I would use
> it.

It seems appropriate to mention here that the DCMI Collection
Description Working Group

http://dublincore.org/groups/collections/

(to which I know several people here already contribute) is currently
working on developing a simple Dublin Core-based schema (a DC
"application profile" in DCMI terminology) for collection-level
description.

It seems to me such a schema could be deployed to describe either the
content of an entire repository or a set, as suggested in the document
Caroline pointed to. And one of the requests from WG members was that
the schema should include a property that provided a pointer to a
(collection-specific) logo.

That property is not listed in the current draft

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/collection-ap-summary/2003-08-25/

as I've been too busy in the last few days to produce a new draft that
reflects the decisions at our meeting at DC-2003

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0310&L=dc-collections&T=0
&F=&S=&P=59

But I'll have an updated version out, umm, real soon....

Pete
-------
Pete Johnston
Interoperability Research Officer
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
tel: +44 (0)1225 383619    fax: +44 (0)1225 386838
mailto:p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/p.johnston/