[OAI-implementers] Sets in OAI-PMH and DSpace

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting scenario Rob, and I think your description is sound. In the
OAI context the set structure really doesn't have a notion of set "C":
there are only sets "A:C" and "B:C", strict subsets of "A" and "B", which
happen to have the same content.

The other option is to put everything at the first level and have sets:
"ComA", "ComB" and "ColC" where it just happens that all items in "ColC"
are also in "ComA" and "ComB". (I think this is what Thom meant by a
unique id for each collection)

As you say, sets are for selective harvesting (not for classification per
se), so the choice should be motivated by the likely usefulness for
harvesters.

Cheers,
Simeon.