[OAI-implementers] OAI identifier resolver

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh@ece.gatech.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:01:59 -0400

--------------040207050508060601080505

I am in favor of just the URL:[collection name] approach.  Why make it
more complicated than necessary? URL's are unique. Is there a particular
reason why it needs to be shorter?

Adam Farquhar wrote:

> Xiaoming,
>
> Selecting an approach that will be certain to fail, but unpredictably,
> is not a good 'engineering' approach, especially when there are other
> approaches that do not fail.  For example, taking a base64 encoding of
> the base URL or just using the base URL itself will both provide a
> unique identifier.
>
> Adam.
>
>>>Hash algorithms such as MD5 or CRC32 cannot be used to generate unique
>>>identifiers.  These algorithms will occasionally produce the same output for
>>>different input strings (this is why hash tables require a mechanism for dealing
>>>with collisions).  Common approaches to generating unique identifiers use some
>>>sort of a registration mechanism to appropriately partition the space of possible
>>>values.  Successful ones will leverage an existing registration mechanism, such
>>>as DNS.
>>>

>>I agree hash algorithm is not a "perfect" way to generate unique
>>identifier for a repository, but it may be acceptable in engineering
>>perspect, the collision possibility will be pretty low in current scale of oai data
>>providers (<500?).
>>
>>I think the basic problem is how to render OAI baseURL to a shorter,
>>readable string in non-collision way. The algorithm should be repeatable
>>-- Anyone can use same algorithm to generate same output given a baseURL.
>>I will be glad to see other approaches.

--------------040207050508060601080505

<head>
</head>
I am in favor of just the URL:[collection name] approach. &nbsp;Why make it more
complicated than necessary? URL's are unique. Is there a particular reason
why it needs to be shorter?<br>
Adam Farquhar wrote:<br>
  <title></title>
       Xiaoming,<br>
 Selecting an approach that will be certain to fail, but unpredictably, is
not a good 'engineering' approach, especially when there are other approaches
that do not fail.&nbsp; For example, taking a base64 encoding of the base URL
or just using the base URL itself will both provide a unique identifier.<br>
 Adam.<br>