[OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Shaun Osborne smo30@cam.ac.uk
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:25:32 +0100

Hi

Marks question seems to come up fairly often - i.e how do I encapsulate
content with my metadata?

I have so far assumed that pointers (URLs probably) would be imbedded in
the metadata and the harvesting system has to have a method (apart from
OAI) to simply pickup all the referenced files by the pointers in the
metadata.

We are moving forward with our OAI efforts and will probably need images
to be able to 'harvested' (at a minimum a thumbnail probably).

Any list users have experience with this generally? or in the museum
context explicity?

Shaun Osborne

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/htf   (Harvesting the Fitzwilliam
Project)
-----Original Message-----
From: oai-implementers-admin@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu
[mailto:oai-implementers-admin@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Doyle
Sent: 15 May 2003 15:28
To: OAI-implementers
Subject: Re: [OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Greetings,

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 11:17  AM, Tim Brody wrote:

> Andy Powell wrote:
>
> > [ ... ]
>
>> I'm not quite clear Where the original question was coming from, but,

>> for
>> example, I think it would be much more questionable to invent a
record
>> format called 'fullText' and to then use the protocol to exchange
>> 'resources' (as opposed to 'records').  At that point, one would be
>> using
>> the 'protocol for metadata harvesting' to do something other than
>> 'harvesting metadata'.
>
> BMC expose their free-access articles via a proprietory XML format
> "bmc_article":
> http://celestial.eprints.org/cgi-bin/oaia2/

biomedcentral.com?verb=GetRecord;metadataPrefix=bmc_article;identifier=
> oai:biomedcentral.com:ar407

We do this as well at the APS (but in mode 0 - only certain IP's can
harvest). What I
would really like is an analog of SOAP with attachments where I could
transport
a PDF along with the OAI metadata "header" - this would enable us to do

all sorts
of interesting things (including simplifying our mirroring). I know I
could base64
encode the PDF and shove it in some tags, but that isn't satisfying. I
would prefer
not to have to create my own proprietary extension to OAI  in order do
this. What work
is currently being done or planned in this direction?

Note that with the bmc_article you don't really get the full article
because items
like figures are missing. I would like to be able to also transport a
bundle of
files as attachments so that an entire article could be delivered.

Cheers,
Mark