[OAI-implementers] Trying to gauge interest on two features

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Sun, 11 May 2003 08:46:17 -0600

Sandro Zic wrote:

> On Saturday 10 May 2003 19:03, Andy Powell wrote:
> > > 2) Providing a SOAP search interface to the search engine. This is an XML
> > > based protocol for exchanging information between clients and servers.
> > > For example Google and Amazon provide SOAP interfaces to their systems.
> >
> > I'd look at using SRW as your SOAP interface...
> >
> >   http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw/
>
> Why not additionally mimic the OAI interface on the SOAP/WSDL level for
> harvesting purposes? I.e. the SOAP object could provide methods for RPC
> like
> getRecord(), getIdentifiers() with the respective arguments (identifier,
> until, ...) passed to them. Calling the remote procedures would return the
> respective OAI result.
>
> Has a kind of SOAP-OAI already been implemented somewhere or discussed
> on this
> list? In fact, the OAI header corresponds to the SOAP envelope paradigm,
> both
> use XML for data transport. SOAP does not only rely on HTTP, but would also
> allow for asynchronous harvesting via SMTP.

When working on version 2.0 of the OAI-PMH we have decided to stick to the HTTP
GET approach used in versions 1.x, but have made sure that the protocol responses
would be SOAP-ready.  I know some OAI-implementers have done SOAP-related
experiments, and I guess they will reply to the list to detail such work.  With
the OAI, we plan to create a spec for a SOAP version of the OAI-PMH, but so far
no concrete schedule has been set with this respect.  However, I expect/hope that
this work would start in the course of 2003.

greetings

herbert van de sompel