[OAI-implementers] questions

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:40:01 -0600

Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Thomas G. Habing wrote:
>

>>We at the UIUC have developed a mapping of EAD to OAI both for the
>>collection level and for the subordinate component levels.  You can find an
>>XSLT that implements that mapping at
>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/uilib-ead/.  Chris Prom and I also presented
>>a paper on the subject which can be found at
>>http://dli.grainger.uiuc.edu/publications/jcdl2002/p14-prom.pdf
>>

> I downloaded the files from sourceforge and tried using the ead-dc.xsl transform
> with Hussein Suleman's XMLFile OAI provider.  It passes all but the GetRecord
> test of the Repository Explorer with a "XML Schema validation failed."  I think
> it has something to do with the </rdf:RDF> tags.  What are these tags for?
> Thanks for any insight.

Hi Jiann-Ming,

Sorry for not being more clear:  Our XSLT produces Qualified Dublin Core as
RDF/XML which should mostly conform to the guidelines for "Expressing
Qualified Dublin Core in RDF / XML"
(http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2002/04/14/dcq-rdf-xml/).  This is the
reason for the rdf-prefixed tags.  This format cannot be used directly with
OAI, mostly because of the lack of an XML Schema.

The RDF/XML output of our transformation will need to be further processed
(dumbed-down) to produced simple, unqualified DC before it can be used with
OAI.  We also have an XSLT transformation which is not posted on SourceForge
for doing this.  If you like I can also post this transformation which takes
the qualified DC RDF/XML and turns it into OAI compatible DC.

Sorry for the confusion.
	Tom

--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects