[OAI-implementers] DOCTYPE question

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:14:31 -0500

Hi Hussein,

In this case, my "metadata" is actually XHTML. The W3C validator at
http://validator.w3.org/ refuses to validate an XHTML document unless a
DOCTYPE is present. Perhaps part of the problem is that this validator
doesn't recognize XML Schemas as an alternative. If I can't include the
DOCTYPE, it would be necessary for OAI clients to be intelligent enough to
insert one if they want to make use of the records in a way that will
satisfy the W3C validator.

As if that's not bad enough, this validator barfs on XML Schemas even if a
DOCTYPE is present. This means that OAI clients will not only have to insert
their own DOCTYPE, they will also have to strip the xmlns:xsi and
xsi:schemaLocation attributes from their records before they can validate
successfully.

Ultimately, I guess, the real answer is that the W3C validator just isn't up
to snuff.

Jeff