[OAI-implementers] OAI and Soap

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:44:50 +0200

hi

i did some tests a long time ago and the basics seem to be fairly
straight-forward.

the fine-print could be another matter however ... so i have a group of
students doing an in-depth study of SOAP applied to the OAI-PMH,
including a draft spec rewrite, baseline tools and implementations,
testing tools, an end-to-end SOAP-OAI-based system, performance
evaluations and comparisons, etc.

their final report will be completed by the beginning of october and
will be submitted to the OAI as a feasability study - this will
hopefully serve as the basis for a new working group to develop a formal
SOAP-OAI spec.

also, we need to be a little cautious - W3C recently upped the new SOAP
spec to "proposed recommendation". it would be wise to wait until it is
a "recommendation" before OAI finalises a SOAP spec.

ttfn,
----hussein