[OAI-implementers] XML encoding problems with DSpace at MIT

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:57:04 -0500 (EST)

I agree that encoding problems should be corrected by the data provider. I
have spent a considerable amount of time sending bug reports to data
providers in the past (I haven't been doing this recently because I
haven't been doing broad harvests).

My point on the oai-general list was really that we shouldn't get hung-up
on the notion of "compliance". The notion isn't well defined or policed
and many server implementations have occasional problems (even mine...
shock, horror!). The key is that initiatives such as eprints.org an dspace
have built-in support for metadata sharing using OAI (notwithstanding the
occasional bug) and that is very good for the open access movement and OAI
service providers.

Cheers,
Simeon.