[OAI-implementers] Patriot Act, Records Management E-learning

referencedesk@att.net referencedesk@att.net
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:42:26 +0000

The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland is pleased
to announce the following two e-learning, continuing education courses this
fall. The courses are designed to be completed on your own schedule during a
two-week time frame.

The first course focuses on the Patriot Act and the Fourth Amendment. The
second course helps you understand how to respond to search warrants and
subpoenas and create a records management system. For complete details, check
out our Web site at http://www.clis.umd.edu/ce

Government intrusion vs. Individual Liberty: Understanding the 4th Amendment
and the USA Patriot Act
September 15-September 26, 2003
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2003
Cost: $145

Do the terms “USA Patriot Act,” “Homeland Security Department” and “Total
Information Awareness” lead to more questions than answers when it comes to
working in an information-centric business? Do you want to understand more
about the basics of the Fourth Amendment and whether recent legislative and
administration efforts, not to mention technology, are eroding our right of
individual liberty? Government Intrusion vs. Individual Liberty will examine
such issues, how they affect information professionals, and how as citizens
we must work to balance the need for homeland security and our rights of
individual liberty.

Responding to Judicial Process:
A Guide to the Unexpected for Search Warrants, Subpoenas and Otherwise
October 27-November 7, 2003
Registration Deadline: October 13
Cost: $145

Perhaps you have taken our previous continuing education course on government
intrusion and the changes brought by the USA Patriot Act. But regardless,
what do you do when federal or state law enforcement comes to your
information-centric business with “judicial process” and demands compliance?
To effectively manage today, you must understand the many forms of judicial
process -- search warrants, Title III wiretap orders, ECPA court orders, ECPA
preservation demand letters and subpoenas – to name just a few. This popular
course will help you understand how each of these forms of process are
executed and what your rights are. It will also assist you in developing in
very concrete terms the proper policy and protocol for your business to make
certain that your rights and the rights of your patrons (or customers) are
protected.