[OAI-implementers] DOI and OAI experiences anyone?

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:15:51 -0600

hi Alan,

The issue you describe (or part thereof) is generally known as "the appropriate
copy problem", and I happen to have been involved in proposing a solution to it
which is now commonly known as the OpenURL Framework (for Context-Sensitive
Services).  I have also been involved in the creation of a specific instance of the
solution to resolve DOIs at the 'local' level.  That DOI local resolution solution
is operational, and is described in:

* Van de Sompel, Herbert and Beit-Arie, Oren. Open Linking in the Scholarly
Information Environment Using the OpenURL Framework. 2001. D-Lib Magazine.
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march01/vandesompel/03vandesompel.html>

* Beit-Arie, Oren, Miriam Blake, Priscilla Caplan, Dale Flecker, Tim Ingoldsby,
Laurence W. Lannom, William H.Mischo, Edward Pentz, Sally Rogers, Herbert Van de
Sompel. Linking to the Appropriate Copy: Report of a DOI-Based Prototype. 2001.
D-Lib Magazine. <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september01/caplan/09caplan.html>

Regarding using the doi of the resource as the oai-identifier:

The thing to understand here, is that an oai-identifier is the identifier of the
oai "item" (as defined in the protocol document).  It is not the identifier of the
"resource" about which the oai "item" holds metadata.  The identifier of the
"resource" would typically go into dc.identifier; that is if there is a DC record
;-) .  Having said that, there are OAI repositories that do use the identifier of
the "resource" as the oai-identifier, i.e. the identifier of the "item".  If I am
not mistaken, arXiv.org does so.  I think one would have to ask the DOI gurus on
this list (Tony Hammond are you there?) how kosher it would be to do that with
DOIs.  My initial impression is that it might very well be acceptable, because the
CrossRef metadata-lookup system also uses DOIs to get after metadata, not the
resource.  Although in that case, the look-up is considered to be a specific
service for the specified DOI (if I am not mistaken - I am sure Tony Hammond will
correct me).

cheers

herbert