[OAI-implementers] Re: Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Matthew Cockerill matt@biomedcentral.com
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:58:29 +0100

I think this is an example of what a previous poster referred to as
'one person's piece of coal being another person's diamond'

To me it seems like a huge benefit that information about the video holdings
of www.teachersdomain.com (including title, description, creator info, and
URL) are accessible through an aggregator like NSDL.

It is a relatively minor point that the DC metadata classifies them  as
being of type "image", especially since:
 (a) it's surely better for them to be listed by NSDL than not listed at all
(which might well be the case if NSDL did not have a baseline format to rely
on)
 (b) the description will presumably make very clear that they are videos.
 (c) the Dublin Core spec clearly states that the Type 'Image' applies to
visual material including both 'still images' and 'moving images', which
seems fair enough, and reasonably logical.

http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

Sure, an end user not familiar with Dublin Core might incorrectly assume the
term 'Image' refers to only still images, but that is a presentation issue.
NSDL should certainly be aware of how the DC controlled vocabulary is
defined, and so they might well choose, for example, to refer use a more
human-friendly description of the Image type, and call it:
'Images, videos, animations etc'.

As Dublin Core and other metadata standards evolve, it may be that the
OAI-PMH can evolve to *recommend* the support of various other metadata
standards, in addition to the baseline.

But that wouldn't negate the huge benefit of having a baseline format that
is not just recommended but required for compliance.

Matt

==
Matthew Cockerill Ph.D.
Technical Director