[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Thomas Krichel krichel@openlib.org
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:04:24 -0500

  Hickey,Thom writes

> As an aggregator of metadata for theses and dissertations, I would
> hate to loose the requirement of providing DC.  It seems as though
> the provider of metadata is in the best position to do the mapping
> from their format into DC, rather than having everyone who harvests
> have to go through the exercise.

  If there is no useful way to map, the result is junk information
  that polutes user services.

> Yes, there are times when it does not make a lot of sense, and we
> are bringing up a number of repositories that are not standard
> bibliographic metadata, but even there, it does provide a minimal
> level of functionality that is useful in examining OAI repositories.
> The added overhead involved is minimal compared to the benefit we
> receive.

  You maybe, but for me as a data provider, the DC record that
  I provide are so primitive that any user service based on
  them does a disservice to my work.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel@openlib.org
  visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel