[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Jose Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:44:59 +0100

YES, it is really all of this what it is all about! IMHO!

What we need is a modular, simple and clear model - which is what OAI
and DCMI tried always to promote (and that's why it is a bit strange to
figure out now how the combination of both has been creating an
harnessed world, where people have to use "dirty tricks to go around",
when what we all want is simplicity...).

Regards
José Borbinha

-----Mensagem original-----
De: oai-implementers-admin@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu
[mailto:oai-implementers-admin@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu] Em nome de
Hussein Suleman
Enviada: terça-feira, 5 de Agosto de 2003 12:01
Para: oai-implementers@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu
Assunto: Re: [OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

hi

i should add my strong support for this proposal from the perspective of

building componentised digital libraries.

my experiences in recent years have shown that the OAI-PMH can be very
useful for transferring data among completely separable internal
components of a digital library. while experimenting with the
OAI-PMHv1.1, i had to work around a few issues, almost all of which were

subsequently resolved in OAI-PMHv2.0 (granularity, list sizes, etc.).
currently, the biggest remaining stumbling block is the requirement for
DC versions of records, which makes no sense in the closed environment
of a local but componentised dl.

i believe that removing this as a requirement will enable internal (in
addition to external) data transfers to use OAI-PMH, and will encourage
the building of finer-grained service provision components that can be
interconnected instead of service providers being themselves monolithic
software systems.

also, let me add that i think Jose Borbinha's ideas are great. we really

should have some kind of registry of formats/transformations and i am
sure these ideas have been mentioned before. there is only the issue of
who will do it :)

philosophically, if this is done well, it could lead us closer to a "one

item, one format" scenario and that has positive ramifications for
mirroring, data consistency and standardisation of mappings. on the
whole, changing the status of dc to a recommendation is going to make
the PMH more viable for community-based systems rather than global OAI
search engines like the ones we have seen thus far. personally, i think
this is the right direction in which to aim the PMH.

lastly, before you release any new versions, do note that SOAPification
is coming sooner or later and you need to put more thought into
separating the essence of the protocol from the binding so we dont end
up with protocol version soup (where soup = v2.0, v2.1, v2.0/SOAP,
v2.1/SOAP).

ttfn,
----hussein

Carl Lagoze wrote:
> Dublin Core has been the mandated metadata format in OAI-PMH since the
> initial release of the protocol. The purpose of this requirement was
> promote interoperability among data providers. It was the subject of
> considerable discussion in the formulation of both the 1.0 and 2.0
> specifications and we think that it is time to reexamine this
> requirement in light of two factors:
>
> 1. There is increasing interest in using the protocol for applications
> other than sharing metadata to promote resource discovery [1][2].
Dublin
> Core is targeted mainly as metadata for resource discovery and is,
> therefore, inappropriate for these other applications.  It might make
> sense to loosen the Dublin Core requirement to a recommendation, and
> thus reduce any barrier to these broader applications.
>
> 2.  The linkage between Dublin Core and OAI-PMH has been
over-emphasized

http://agenda.cern.ch/askArchive.php?base=agenda&categ=a02333&id=a02333s