[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

Below are some experiments I did last October with 92 repositories.

In total, 21 different metadata formats are used in 92 repositories.
 The majority of them (53) use unqualified DC only, 28 repositories use
two metadata formats, four repositories use three metadata formats, and
seven use four metadata formats. The OLAC, RFC1807, OAI_ETDMS and OAI_MARC
are used more than once. The other 16 kinds of metadata format are local
formats; it is very difficult to implement service over these
metadata without individually studying each format.

I think it's pre-mature to dismiss OAI-DC before we establish a way to
encourage metadata interoperability, such as the service proposed by Jose
Borbinha.

Xiaoming