[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Sandro Zic sandro.zic@zzoss.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:50:35 +0200

Zitat von Matthew Cockerill <matt@biomedcentral.com>:
> I would argue that enforcing a baseline set of cross-domain metadata
> semantics is *as* important an aspect of the OAI-PMH project as is the
> protocol itself.
> (Although certainly, the two could be thought of as logically distinct
> sub-projects]

I cannot talk for the OAI project, all I say is that from my perpective, the
two *are* logically distinct projects from a technical point of view: There's
an OIA-PMH and OAI-DC project. OAI-PMH could recommend using DC, but I would
not make it a requirement of OAI-PMH. This would be like requiring HTML for
HTTP.

After all, I am not a member of the community of digital libraries, instead I
try to use OAI-PMH in a rather unorthodoxical way as I understand now :) My
comments intend to foster a more generic and widespread use of OAI-PMH, that's
why I'd like to see it decoupled from the DC requirement.

Sandro