[OAI-implementers] OAI Resource

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:11:47 -0400

I'd say the answer is no, you don't want to do that. OAI isn't a search
protocol, it's a simple harvesting protocol. If you really do need to search
your database by these fields you will need to use a different protocol such
a Z39.50 or SRU/SRW and use it to index those fields from your research
project records. Also keep in mind that the main reason people make your
metadata records available via OAI is so others (aka service providers) can
make them useful and searchable in this way.

Basically, it sounds like you want more functionality than OAI alone
provides. Check out EPrints or DSpace if you need a more complete archiving
solution.

Jeff