[OAI-implementers] Beginner questions

Andy Powell a.powell@ukoln.ac.uk
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:03:48 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Tim Brody wrote:

> [...]

Well, I still tend to disagree :-).  I assume that you are refering to

  http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#Item

and below...  I quote:

 Note that the identifier described here [the item identifier] is not that
 of a resource .  The nature of a resource identifier is outside the scope
 of the OAI-PMH.  To facilitate access to the resource associated with
 harvested metadata, repositories should use an element in metadata
 records to establish a linkage between the record (and the identifier of
 its item) and the identifier (URL, URN, DOI, etc.) of the associated
 resource. The mandatory Dublin Core format provides the identifier
 element that should be used for this purpose.

The item identifier is not the same as the resource identifier - because
the item is not the same as the resource.

Andy.