[OAI-implementers] DOG (Dienst Open-Archive Gateway) moved to new location!

Terry Harrison 1maniac@cox.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:50:16 -0400

--Apple-Mail-5-58441784

DOG - The Dienst 4.1  Open-Archive 1.1  Gateway (Moved to new location)

DOG   - The Dienst (4.1) to Open-Archive (1.1) Gateway has moved.

I am pleased to also announce that I have begun working on DOG Version
2.0,
which will be compliant with the OAI-PMH 2.0 .  I am working on this,
with the support of Michael Nelson(ODU).

Test Site:      http://www.cs.odu.edu/~tharriso/DOG/gateway.html

Purpose
________________
The purpose of DOG is to make it possible for OAI enabled services to
make
requests to, and permit harvesting of, any archive that supports Dienst
4.1 protocol requests, by using OAI 1.1 formatted requests. This service
may be used to make OAI calls to any Dienst archive. This service is
offered to the digital library community at large and may be called
remotely (to our server at ODU), or may be installed locally (at
conclusion of Beta review).

Features
________________
1.  Permits OAI calls to Dienst servers that support Dienst 4.1 protocol
     requests.
2.  Handles all OAI 1.1 verb request and all verb arguments.
     example: "until" argument implemented ( where no equivalent exists in
     Dienst 4.1)
3.  Requests for records (GetRecord) may be made with either Dienst
     formatted handle or OAI formatted  identifier.
4.  Handles archives that contain multiple repository identifiers.

Basic Request Format
_______________
http://ren.cs.odu.edu:5187/servlet/dataprovider.Gateway/DIENST_SERVER%2FDien
st%2F/

Testing
______________
Dog has been tested on:
www.icase.edu
ncstrl.mit.edu
ncstrl.gmd.de
dienst.iei.pi.cnr.it

The URL at the top of this message will take you to the DOG Test Site.
Your feedback is welcomed.

Summary
______________
The goal of this project is to create a gateway between OAI 1.1 protocol
and the Dienst 4.1 Protocol. It is worthy to note that the scope of this
gateway is limited to scope of the OAI protocol and does not include
auxiliary services that may exist within a Dienst framework.

DOG has been written in JAVA and will be available (after BETA testing)
interested parties, as a tar file, for optional local implementation. It
is not necessary to install DOG locally, as calls may be made it directly
as currently implemented at ODU. It is currently being run on a BETA
server at Old Dominion University, and will more to a more permanent
location at the conclusion of BETA testing.

I look forward to your comments,

Terry Harrison

Email: tharriso@cs.odu.edu
Personal Home Page: http://www.cs.odu.edu/~tharriso/index.html

___________________________

Terry L. Harrison

Digital Libraries Group			Research Assistant (Dr. Michael L. Nelson )
Computer Science Department	Office:   Rm 230 Education Bldg.
Old Dominion University                     Norfolk, Va. 23529

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~tharriso

(end of message)
___________________________

--Apple-Mail-5-58441784

[...]

testing) to

interested parties, as a tar file, for optional local implementation.
It

is not necessary to install DOG locally, as calls may be made it
directly

as currently implemented at ODU. It is currently being run on a BETA

server at Old Dominion University, and will more to a more permanent

location at the conclusion of BETA testing.

I look forward to your comments,

Terry Harrison

Email:

Personal Home Page: