[OAI-implementers] question regarding oai data reposistories

Heinrich Stamerjohanns stamer@uni-oldenburg.de
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:26:01 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, anu devara wrote:

> Hi,
> I am kinda new to this and have lots of questions to
> ask. Has anyone used the tools put out in the open
> archive web site to build a data reposistory?. I have
> tried to figure some out but they have not shown how
> they do it. Do they use a seperate database to store
> the records harvested from the collection database?.
> will that be a good thing?.
> Thank you,
> Anu

If you want to become a Data Provider and you already have
your metadata in a relational database, you do not need an
extra database. All you need is a program (or script) that
maps your existing records to the metadata format you would
like to provide and create XML out of it.
This can be done in real-time, you do not need to store
XML.

Heinrich

--
  Dr. Heinrich Stamerjohanns        Tel. +49-441-798-4276
  Institute for Science Networking  stamer@uni-oldenburg.de