[OAI-implementers] Sets and stuff, OAI 2.0

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Tue, 14 May 2002 22:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, deridder wrote:

> (Oh, and if you can recommend which ListRecord fields you have found
> useful, I'd like to hear about that also;  I'd like to standardize my
> returns.)

For DC metadata, I think some fields like "title","creator", "subject" and
"abstract" are widely used for building advanced search interface in
resource discovery.

The other fields like "rights" may not be widely used in search interface,
but they can be shown in search result page whenever the resource is
discovered.

For community or archive specific metadata, it will be difficult for a
general service provider to exploit the semantics, but I think the
"branding" introduced in 2.0 brings a new way for service provider to
present the information even if it doesn't understand the meanings.

http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-branding.htm

My personal view is the more information, the better.

regards,
liu