[OAI-implementers] dublin core clarification?

deridder deridder@cs.utk.edu
Fri, 10 May 2002 15:03:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Kevin--

What you have said supports my understanding of the <about> tag
"as a means to provide information regarding the origins of the metadata
part of the record".
(http://www.openarchives.org/OAI_protocol/2.x/openarchivesprotocol.htm)

Let me see if I understand your position correctly:

If the item under discussion is an issue of a slavery-era local
newspaper, (such as our Emancipator set) the "publisher" and "rights"
fields are those that apply to the original newspaper;  "creator" would
perhaps be the company or editor; format would be (perhaps)
newsprint; "date" would be the date of original printing.

   Then, perhaps in the <about> tag section, information would be entered
such as current rights access to the digitized material;  publisher of the
digitzation;  creator of the digitized object;  date of digitization,
and here, format might be SGML and/or JPEG.

Thus, if the item under discussion were a book, the "identifier" in the
regular dc section would likely be the ISBN, whereas the "identifier" in
the "about" section would likely be the unique OAI identifier, the URL at
which the digitized object(s) could be viewed, a CORC ID, and so on.

Am I understanding you correctly?

And then if the oai_dc file were to be translated into a QUALIFIED Dublin
Core record, the information in the "about" tag section would somehow be
incorporated with the information in the rest of the file???

Thank you for your time and clarification.

--jody

   PGPKey: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~deridder/jd-pgp.txt