[OAI-implementers] XML records and RDF

Paxinos, Mathew M paxinos.mathew.m@edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:59:25 +1100

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C594.DA417880

Alan,

My interpretation of the schema was that you can provide the records in whatever
format you wish, it could conform to the DC schema as outlined in the OAI 1.1
spec, or you could specify your own.  The OAI 1.1 only specified that you must
provide an instance of your data using the DC schema.

Our system provides records in DC as per the schema for general consumption or
using our own VEMS standard, which provides the same information but with more
descriptive detail as to what things are.  The ListMetadataFormats verb provides
a list of the schemas that the repository can provide the data in.

Regards,

Mathew Paxinos
System Developer
Victorian Education Channel
Department of Education & Training
Phone: (03) 9637 2256
www.education.vic.gov.au

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Kent [mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2002 14:17
To: OAI Implementors
Subject: [OAI-implementers] XML records and RDF

I was looking at the feasibility of putting up a collection of
records using a scheme which is an extension of Dublin Core. However,
they have encoded the records using RDF rather than the simpler
OAI schema as used for Dublin Core records. (ie: lots of
<rdf:description> and <rdf:value> elements all over the place.)

The DC records included in appendex of the OAI 1.1 spec however
does not use RDF.

Just wondering if there was any reason for me not to return my
records using the RDF based schema? I could try and convert them
to the OAI DC schema as well (so available in both formats).
Just wondering if there was any wisdom here. (Eg: "we chose not
to use RDF based DC XML because...").

I am not an RDF expert by the way, so don't understand all the
subtlties that may be involved.

Alan
--
Alan Kent (mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au, http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au)
Postal: Multimedia Database Systems, RMIT, GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001.

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage
or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting
directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is
limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions
expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the
Department of Education Employment and Training.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C594.DA417880

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [OAI-implementers] XML records and RDF</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alan,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My interpretation of the schema was that you can =
provide the records in whatever format you wish, it could conform to =
the DC schema as outlined in the OAI 1.1 spec, or you could specify =
your own.&nbsp; The OAI 1.1 only specified that you must provide an =
instance of your data using the DC schema.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Our system provides records in DC as per the schema =
for general consumption or using our own VEMS standard, which provides =
the same information but with more descriptive detail as to what things =
are.&nbsp; The ListMetadataFormats verb provides a list of the schemas =
that the repository can provide the data in.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mathew Paxinos</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>System Developer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Victorian Education Channel</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Department of Education &amp; Training</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Phone: (03) 9637 2256</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>www.education.vic.gov.au</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Alan Kent [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au">mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au</A>] =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2002 14:17</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: OAI Implementors</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: [OAI-implementers] XML records and =
RDF</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I was looking at the feasibility of putting up a =
collection of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>records using a scheme which is an extension of =
Dublin Core. However,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>they have encoded the records using RDF rather than =
the simpler</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>OAI schema as used for Dublin Core records. (ie: =
lots of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&lt;rdf:description&gt; and &lt;rdf:value&gt; =
elements all over the place.)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The DC records included in appendex of the OAI 1.1 =
spec however</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>does not use RDF.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just wondering if there was any reason for me not to =
return my</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>records using the RDF based schema? I could try and =
convert them</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to the OAI DC schema as well (so available in both =
formats).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just wondering if there was any wisdom here. (Eg: =
&quot;we chose not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to use RDF based DC XML because...&quot;).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am not an RDF expert by the way, so don't =
understand all the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>subtlties that may be involved.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alan</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alan Kent (<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au">mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au</A>, <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au</A>)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Postal: Multimedia Database Systems, RMIT, GPO Box =
2476V, Melbourne 3001.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Where: RMIT MDS, Bld 91, Level 3, 110 Victoria St, =
Carlton 3053, VIC Australia.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Phone: +61 3 9925 4114&nbsp; Reception: +61 3 9925 =
4099&nbsp; Fax: +61 3 9925 4098 </FONT>
<BR><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>_______________________________________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>OAI-implementers mailing list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>OAI-implementers@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu/mailman/listinfo/oai-implementers=
" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu/mailman/listinfo/oai-im=
plementers</A></FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>***************************************************************=
****************</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D2>Important</FONT></B><FONT SIZE=3D2> - This email =
and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please =
contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments =
check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or =
consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, =
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our =
liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any =
representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual =
sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education =
Employment and Training.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C594.DA417880--