[OAI-implementers] OAI 2.0 versus 1.0/1.1 handling

Alan Kent ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:20:23 +1000

With 2.0 now hitting the streets, I guess I can start asking questions
here regarding 2.0...

We are trying here to harvest both from 1.0/1.1 and 2.0 repositories.
But we hit a slight snag which we can work around, but I am not sure in
my mind whether I should be bothered or not.

In 2.0, it says records should contain all XML namespace declarations
they need to use locally. Harvesting eldorado (which does not claim to
be 2.0), I get back a record that uses the global 'xsi' namespace
declaration for the xsi:schemaLocation of the record content.

In 2.0, I believe its mandated that the xsi namespace be redeclared
locally so you can pick up the record and have it parse independently
of the rest of the response. Is this correct?

I am tossing up in my mind whether its worth the effort of continuing
to support 1.0 and 1.1 by copying down required namespace declarations
from above etc. I can do it, its just messy. How important do people
think continued support for 1.0/1.1 is I wonder? How long before everyone
upgrades?

Opinions welcome!

Alan
--