[OAI-implementers] oai security

Pete Cliff p.d.cliff@ukoln.ac.uk
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:39:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hello!

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Carl Lagoze wrote:

> Other people have spoken here, but to add briefly:  there is nothing
> about OAI that precludes restricted access to metadata.  Since the
> protocol is carried over HTTP any HTTP access management mechanimsms
> are appropriate.

Just picking up on this thread as I've been out of the office for a couple
of days.

The Resource Discovery Network currently builds the database behind
ResourceFinder - our cross-searching service see www.rdn.ac.uk - by
gathering metadata records using the OAI protocol. We don't publish the
addresses of our repositories, and protect them with IP based
authentication - a fairly closed enviroment - but OAI has made this easy
and standard.

We then have the potential to share records in a standard way, even if we
don't do it currently...

Cheers,

--
Pete Cliff