[OAI-implementers] Questions from a novice

Charles, Daphne daphne.charles@rchme.co.uk
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:34:52 +0100

Hi,

Having read the Harvesting Protocol I have a couple of questions. (I tried
to submit these to the OAI website, but no response, so hence the general
broadcast)

Can this only be implemented with PERL CGI scripts?

We are building our site with Active Server Pages on an Oracle database, and
ASPs could certainly be used to produce output in XML format.  Oracle also
has some excellent XML tools.

How is the information returned from the repository following a request?
ASPs could generate output in the correct format with an XML extension, but
this would be on the repository server, so how does it get transferred to
the service provider?  Similarly for status codes if there is no XML output.

Regards

Daphne

 Daphne Charles					Tel: 	+44 1793 414894
  Senior Developer 					Fax: 	+44 1793
414906
  National Monuments Record Centre	                  	Email:
daphne.charles@rchme.co.uk
  English Heritage
  Kemble Drive, Swindon, Wilts SN2 2GZ