[OAI-implementers] doubts about xmlschema in OAI

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:34:30 -0500

hi

while it is true that namespace attributes can be used to disambiguate,
the root tag of the metadata ("dc" or "oai_dc") has to belong to some
namespace to be validifiable.

as it stands, that tag is defined in the schema for dc, and it is named
"dc" so i believe that if you use "oai_dc" it is just simply not correct
as far as schema validity goes.

and the problem doesnt end here, because with "lax" validation you can
put any nonsense into your record and call it "dc" xml ...

i agree somewhat with Xiaoming and i have raised this issue before in
the context of the repository explorer. the problem is that people with
exotic data types may not have the know-how to write schemas. so its a
dilemma: either we exclude people who cant write schemas or we allow
people to ignore schemas altogether ... right now we are doing the
latter and i dont know if that is reasonable.

we need to think this through more carefully ...

ttfn
----hussein