[OAI-implementers] rdf

lagoze@cs.cornell.edu lagoze@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 7 May 2001 05:59:58 -0400

Tim,

Thanks for this reflection on the status of affairs regarding OAI, DC,
and RDF.  I'm in strong agreement with you on a number of issues.  I
find the whole concept of the Semantic Web
http://www.sciam.com/2001/0501issue/0501berners-lee.html intriguing.
However, IMHO the RDF community seems to have leaped beyond the
depoyability and proof of worth of simple metadata to the concept of a
distributed knowledge base.  I think that RDF (and Dublin Core) have
huge potential, but that potential is severely compromised by hard
evidence of how they work for large deployments and lack of commitment
among their communities to finish the details so that such evidence can
be established.

Carl

http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/harmony/ and in a