[OAI-implementers] Metadata Language Confusion

Thomas Krichel krichel@openlib.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:35:41 -0400

  Hussein Suleman writes

> now, in general, DC is only the basic requirement ... i strongly suggest
> using a metadata format for exchanging citation information which is
> multilingual-aware ... as an example from another community, check out
> the experimental ETD-MS format (Electronic Thesis and Dissertation
> Metadata Set) ...

  For another set that is probably more geared towards electronic citation data
  is AMF, current draft is at http://amf.openlib.org/doc/ebisu.html.
  It is also experimental. It is aimed to be interoperable with OpenURL
  as will as OAI.

> in our case we have the same problem with documents
> being authored in multiple languages and we have created a new format
> which is basically DC with some extensions, one of which being the fact
> that any tag may have the "xml:lang" attribute and may have multiple
> instances (thus supporting multiple translations for any or all fields
> in the metadata set)

  That is the same approach as in AMF and it seems the way to go.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                              mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                         http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                     RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel