[OAI-implementers] pointies in abstracts

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:29:42 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_ohsKQdzbbgHjt1CgT04E2A)

hi

a few short comments on this entity question and schema validation ...

- internal named entities seem to work just fine

- one of the reasons we opted not to recommend named entities is because
of the fact that many XML parsers dont process external DTDs ... and
since this meant we couldnt use ISOlat1, etc. we went with Unicode
instead ...

- XSV currently supports external entity references as follows:
--- the external entity file must exist or the program crashes
unceremoniously
--- if the entity itself does not resolve its only a warning, not an
error

bottom line: unless all users of your OAI interface have the full
complement of popular entity files they may run into problems ...

suggestion: convert all named entities to unicode when generating OAI

ttfn
----hussein

hussein suleman -- hussein@vt.edu -- vtcs -- http://purl.org/net/hussein

--Boundary_(ID_ohsKQdzbbgHjt1CgT04E2A)

begin:vcard
n:Suleman;Hussein
tel;work:+15402313615
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://purl.org/net/hussein
org:Virginia Tech;Digital Libraries Research Laboratory
version:2.1
email;internet:hussein@vt.edu
adr;quoted-printable:;;2030 Torgerson Hall=0D=0A;Blacksburg;Virginia;24060;United States of America
note;quoted-printable:http://www.dlib.vt.edu=0D=0Ahttp://www.vt.edu=0D=0A
fn:Hussein Suleman
end:vcard

--Boundary_(ID_ohsKQdzbbgHjt1CgT04E2A)--