[OAI-implementers] changing formats

deridder deridder@cs.utk.edu
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:00:09 -0500 (EST)

Actually, we have data available in TEI lite (a build on SGML), from
which we extracted the info to create the dc XML files.  And soon we
will have streaming media, etc., etc;  and also we have incredible
images of old documents, stuff like that.
   Looking at the specs, it seems that the return info on the verbs
which require metadata prefixes could be/should be in the format of
whatever the prefix describes (via the created schema).
  However, Hussein tells me (thank-you, Hussein!!) that I am
constrained to put everything in XML regardless of what it is.  I can
probably figure out a way to do that with TEI lite (though it may
render it pointless), but I can't exactly put streaming media in XML---
only a description of it.  So now it seems to me that if we want to make
that stuff available, it can only be via a link, either in the metadata
somewhere, or via the <about> tag in ListRecords (or both).

  Is my understanding on this clear??
  I appreciate your feedback!

   --Jody