[OAI-implementers] New registration page is now up

lagoze@cs.cornell.edu lagoze@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:54:19 -0500

Hi Steven,

Comments and answers inserted below:

I hear your point and its a matter of philosophy.  Our goal in the
registry and in the conformance testing is to provide a relatively high
integrity list of data providers (where integrity is measured by our
stated test criteria).  The list of old data providers while
historically interesting doesn't provide any information that anyone can
use - e.g., Santa Fe conformance has really very little to do with OAI
1.0 conformance.  Being a minimalist at heart I'd rather stick to
posting information that is useful for applications.

> (I don't think it's as motivating to register if we cannot also point
> to a registry.)

Good point!  I'll touch base with Donna today to see how long it can be
before a listing capability will be possible.

> > 3. I tried to go to eprints.org to check out the 'links'
> that you are
> > referring to but the site is down at the moment.
>
> I don't think it's down (just tried it).

I still can't get to it.  You might have a sys admin do some checks.  I
did a traceroute and I get as far as southampton.site.ja.net
(146.97.255.0), but then it can't find www.eprints.org.

> The code I've just ask Chris to change is in http://www.eprints.org/
>
> Please change:
>
>     <P>The generic version of <B>eprints</B> is fully
>     <B>interoperable</B> with all other OAI-Compliant <A
>     HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/">Open Archives</A>. This means
>     that it no longer matters <I>where</I> papers are archived; the
>     papers in all OAI-compliant Archives can be harvested using the <A
>
> href="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm">OAI
>     protocol</A> into one global "virtual archive" by <A
>     HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_services.htm">Open
>     Archives Service Providers</A> such as the <A
>     HREF="http://arc.cs.odu.edu/">Cross Archive Searching
>     Service</A>.</P>

>     <P>The generic version of <B>eprints</B> is fully
>     <B>interoperable</B> with all other OAI-Compliant <A
>     HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/">Open Archives</A>. This means
>     that it no longer matters <I>where</I> papers are
> archived.  Archives
>     need only <A
>     href="http://www.openarchives.org/registration.htm">
>     register as OAI-compliant </A> in order to
>     be harvested using the <A
>
> href="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm">OAI
>     protocol</A> into global "virtual archives" by <A
>     HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_services.htm">Open
>     Archives Service Providers</A> such as the <A
>     HREF="http://arc.cs.odu.edu/">Cross Archive Searching
>     Service</A>.</P>
>
> As you see, I still point to the old service-provider registry because
> I think it is an important target to keep in mind. Any suggestions for
> alternatives would be welcome!

I have no objections or opinions on individual sites pointing to their
service providers of choice. Hopefully there will be an increasing
number of service providers tailored for individual community needs.
So, go ahead and point to those that you think are appropriate for you.

> > 4. By "go through registration again", I'm assuming you
> mean the need
> > for sites that were listed as "Santa Fe registered" having
> to registered
> > as "OAI data providers".  Since these are indeed two
> different animals -
> > the protocol is completely different - we do ask that anyone who
> > supported Santa Fe and has now changed to the OAI protocol please go
> > through the registration process. Since this involves but a
> handful of
> > sites, we hope that this won't be too much of a problem.
>
> Ok. I believe Chris Gutteridge is doing this right now.
> Again, it would
> be a motivator to transfer the prior registry into a new registry as
> something like "pending upgrade" so the registry is there, and
> non-empty. It is then a traget to aim toward for others.

The registry is not empty and has a few conformant repositories in it.
We just need to get the listing capability up.

I'm personally comfortable about stating anything is "pending" without
having such promise from the party responsible for the site.  Too many
chances of unrequited promises. I'd rather stick with only listing those
things that are actual.

Regards,

Carl