[OAI-implementers] New registration page is now up

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:43:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 lagoze@cs.cornell.edu wrote:

> 2. As stated at the top of http://www.openarchives.org/registration.htm,
> our intention is to "provide a publicaly accessible list of OAI
> conformant repositories" (data providers).  Donna Bergmark has that on
> her list as soon as the registration software and conformance testing
> software is completed.

Please let us know the URL for the registry as soon as it is
established. In fact, I would suggest setting up now, out of the old
set of data-providers, specifying that these are not yet OAI 1.0-tested,
but shortly will be, and once shown to comply, will be upgraded to
registered status.

(I don't think it's as motivating to register if we cannot also point
to a registry.)

> 3. I tried to go to eprints.org to check out the 'links' that you are
> referring to but the site is down at the moment.

I don't think it's down (just tried it).

The code I've just ask Chris to change is in http://www.eprints.org/

Please change:

    <P>The generic version of <B>eprints</B> is fully
    <B>interoperable</B> with all other OAI-Compliant <A
    HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/">Open Archives</A>. This means
    that it no longer matters <I>where</I> papers are archived; the
    papers in all OAI-compliant Archives can be harvested using the <A
    href="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm">OAI
    protocol</A> into one global "virtual archive" by <A
    HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_services.htm">Open
    Archives Service Providers</A> such as the <A
    HREF="http://arc.cs.odu.edu/">Cross Archive Searching
    Service</A>.</P>

    <P>The generic version of <B>eprints</B> is fully
    <B>interoperable</B> with all other OAI-Compliant <A
    HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/">Open Archives</A>. This means
    that it no longer matters <I>where</I> papers are archived.  Archives
    need only <A
    href="http://www.openarchives.org/registration.htm">
    register as OAI-compliant </A> in order to
    be harvested using the <A
    href="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm">OAI
    protocol</A> into global "virtual archives" by <A
    HREF="http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_services.htm">Open
    Archives Service Providers</A> such as the <A
    HREF="http://arc.cs.odu.edu/">Cross Archive Searching
    Service</A>.</P>

As you see, I still point to the old service-provider registry because
I think it is an important target to keep in mind. Any suggestions for
alternatives would be welcome!

> 4. By "go through registration again", I'm assuming you mean the need
> for sites that were listed as "Santa Fe registered" having to registered
> as "OAI data providers".  Since these are indeed two different animals -
> the protocol is completely different - we do ask that anyone who
> supported Santa Fe and has now changed to the OAI protocol please go
> through the registration process. Since this involves but a handful of
> sites, we hope that this won't be too much of a problem.

Ok. I believe Chris Gutteridge is doing this right now. Again, it would
be a motivator to transfer the prior registry into a new registry as
something like "pending upgrade" so the registry is there, and
non-empty. It is then a traget to aim toward for others.

Cheers, Stevan
Stevan Harnad                     harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science    harnad@princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and     phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science     fax:   +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton         http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton            http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM