[OAI-general] Relative URI as identifier of OAI-PMH

Eizi TOYODA toyoda at gfd-dennou.org
Thu May 6 01:42:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

Some people use just a filename (such as md0001.xml) for identifier of
OAI-PMH.  Would that be compliant to the protocol?  I really don't
like that, but the specification seems to be a little unclear to
persuade people to change practices.

The protocol (http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#UniqueIdentifier)
says:
"The format of the unique identifier must correspond to that of the
URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) syntax."
The generic syntax of URI includes relative URI, hence "md0001.xml"
might be a kind of valid URI.  But the overall context suggests
presence of URI scheme, so I wonder the community may not have been
aware of that.

Any thoughts of the community are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
--
Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA (Mr./PhD)
Japan Meteorological Agency