[OAI-general] concerns about new OAIster terms/conditions

Simeon Warner simeon.warner at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 23 10:08:07 EDT 2009

A key reason that the OAI-PMH was restricted to metadata was that we
felt we could share metadata without too much legal concern. Even
so, the e-prints schema/guideline was created and is widely used to
express policies for reuse of metadata (and the data it describes):

http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-eprints.htm

It seems that OCLC's rather heavy handed license request flies in the
face of accepted practices within the community. I wonder whether OCLC
will remove all existing content from OAIster until people agree to
the new license? (Hopefully revised to something more rational.)

Cheers,
Simeon