[OAI-general] DLF Aquifer MODS Guidelines FAQ and MARCXML to MODS stylesheet

Riley, Jenn jenlrile at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 29 09:03:35 EDT 2007

This announcement is being sent to multiple lists; please excuse any
duplication.

The DLF Aquifer Metadata Working Group is happy to announce the
availability of two new resources aimed at helping Aquifer participants
prepare metadata for aggregation.

1) An FAQ for institutions implementing the DLF/Aquifer Implementation
Guidelines for Shareable MODS Records.

<http://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/confluence/x/MYAH>

The FAQ is designed to supplement the DLF/Aquifer Implementation
Guidelines for Shareable MODS Records
<http://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/confluence/download/attachments/28330/DLFM
ODS_ImplementationGuidelines_Version1.pdf> and MODS Guidelines Levels of
Adoption
<http://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/confluence//x/q24>, to help institutions
understand the rationale behind the metadata guidelines designed by the
Aquifer project. The Aquifer Metadata Working Group plans to add to this
FAQ over time. Please do not hesitate to contact any Working Group
member <http://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/confluence/x/Sm8> with suggestions.

2) The DLF Aquifer MARCXML to MODS XSL Stylesheet, version 2007-08-10.

<http://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/confluence//x/K4AQ>

The Aquifer stylesheet for record conversion is based on the MARCXML to
MODS stylesheet for
MODS version 3.2 made available by the Library of Congress on the MODS
website <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/MARC21slim2MODS.xsl>, and
is based on a version incorporating LC's revisions up to number 1.15.
We are grateful to the Library of Congress for providing and maintaining
this document and for their help in preparing our version.

Our goal in making this version available is to make it easier for
institutions having digital content they wish to contribute metadata to
the DLF Aquifer project, American Social History Online.  For
institutions with MARC records, the stylesheet may help to convert their
metadata to MODS records in a way that we believe better meets the
requirements and recommendations of the Aquifer Guidelines.  Our changes
address the needs of the Aquifer project, specifically the requirements
and recommendations of the Aquifer Implementation Guidelines for
Shareable MODS Records, but may be useful to consider for other
aggregators who are mapping MARCXML to MODS or other formats for OAI
sharing.