[OAI-general] Afghanistan digital libraries project - NDLTD might be of help

Fox, Edward fox at vt.edu
Thu Oct 27 09:27:28 EDT 2005

Hi!

Good to hear from you! Good question!

One of the activities related to OAI since its conception is the
Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, NDLTD, see
www.ndltd.org.

Your university, and more generally the Alliances, are encouraged to
join NDLTD. It is one of the easiest ways to engage a large segment of
university populations (faculty, graduate students, researchers, and
those in support positions throughout the administration and IT
community and library) in digital library activities.

We use OAI, so that individual universities have some type of
specialized repository (using tailored software, such as ETD-db, the
electronic thesis and dissertation database, or its adaptations into
other languages or settings, such as for the Australasian Digital Thesis
project) or more general software (e.g., DSpace with plugins developed
in UK, Fedora with additional software such as the VITAL system
developed by VTLS, Eprints, etc.). At the state (e.g., efforts by
OhioLink), national (e.g., activities in Brazil connected with IBICT),
and regional (e.g., the ADT effort mentioned above) levels, OAI also is
used.  Then, at the global level, OCLC runs our Union Catalog using OAI
(see http://alcme.oclc.org/ndltd/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=ListSets and an
SRU service atop that).  On the service provider side, there are a
variety of metadata or full-text based free services that work from the
Union Catalog, run by Scirus (connected with Elsevier), VTLS, CALIS in
China, Virginia Tech, etc.

I'd be happy to work with you if this is of interest.  If you are coming
to ICADL 2005, the International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries,
in Bangkok in December, or other events next year, perhaps we can meet
to discuss this further.

Hope this helps!  Warm regards, Ed Fox

Professor Edward A. Fox, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science
660 McBryde Hall, M/C 0106
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061 USA
Ph: +1-540-231-5113, Cell +1-540-230-6266
Email: fox at vt.edu, FAX: +1-540-231-6075
WWW: http://fox.cs.vt.edu <http://fox.cs.vt.edu/>
Chair, IEEE TCDL, www.ieee-tcdl.org
Executive Director, NDLTD, www.ndltd.org