[OAI-general] Speaker for UK event: 19 March, London

Tony Linde ael@star.le.ac.uk
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:00:33 -0000

Hi, I am not a subscriber to this list so please send any replies to me
directly.

I am the coordinator of the IVOA (1) workgroup set up to define
interoperability standards for registries (2) of astronomical data and
services. We have convened a kickoff meeting (3) for the group on 19-20
March in London (4). Participants will attend from UK and Europe.

One member of the working group has suggested that we take the OAI
protocols as a base for our standards (5). Unfortunately, he is unable
to make this meeting and I was wondering if anyone from the OAI
community based in the UK could come and give us a presentation about
the OAI and its standards for metadata and harvesting.

I realise this is short notice (and this is the reason none of our US
members can attend) but we would be very grateful if someone experienced
in this area could spare us the time for such a presentation. I'll be
happy to bring anyone up to speed with our deliberations if they want to
pitch the talk to our needs and we will meet any reasonable travel
expenses.

If you are interested in helping us out in this way, please email me
directly at ael@star.le.ac.uk with a brief description of your work in
the OAI field.

Many thanks,
Tony.

(1) International Virtual Observatory Alliance, see http://ivoa.net
(2) see documents at http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaResReg
(3) see http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/Registry19032003
(4) at London e-Science Centre, http://www.lesc.ic.ac.uk/
(5) see http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0002.htm for the initial
proposal, http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0082.htm for a sample
implementation and
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/RegistryRequirements/evaloai.html for
an evaluation.

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael@star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org