[OAI-general] System Architecture

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:51:06 -0600

In the various search systems we have developed based on OAI harvested DC
records, we have always combined the creator and contributor (and I think
even the publisher?) fields together under a single index, primarily because
of the issues described in this discussion thread.

In our Cultural Heritage search service
(http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/CandI303/search/) the combined index is
labeled 'Author/Artist'.  In our engineering search interface
(http://g118.grainger.uiuc.edu/engroai/) the combined index is labeled
'Author/Editor'.

When aggregating across many different OAI providers especially across
disciplines, this seems to be the only way to do it.  If the experts can't
agree on how to split this data, the average (non-expert) user probably
isn't going to understand the difference either, or probably even care.