[OAI-general] Reorganization of UIUC Library OAI Providers

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:51:54 -0600

Hi all,

We've just completed a reorganization of the OAI data providers at the
University of Illinois Library, Urbana-Champaign.

We have redirected our old providers at:

  http://bolder.grainger.uiuc.edu/uiliboaiprovider/2.0/oai.asp (2.0)
  http://bolder.grainger.uiuc.edu/uiliboaiprovider/oai.asp (1.1)

To our new dynamic gateway provider at:

   http://oaigateway.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai.asp

We plan to maintain the redirection for the foreseeable future, but anyone
harvesting from the old baseURLs should eventually begin harvesting from the
new baseURL.

Unfortunately, as part of the reorganization we had to assign new
identifiers to all of the records, so the old identifiers starting with
either 'oai:oai.library.uiuc.edu:' (2.0) or 'oai:uiLib:' (1.1) should be
considered deleted, and you should perform a complete reharvest from the new
provider.

The new provider is actually acting as an aggregator/gateway to seven other
individual OAI providers which are maintained in the UIUC library.  This
aggregation currently provides ~165,000 records.  Since the aggregation is
occurring dynamically, directly from the original providers, record
staleness should not be an issue.  All records include a provenance
container describing their origin.  Care should be taken to prevent
duplicate records if harvesting from both the aggregator/gateway and from
one of the source OAI providers.

Anyone wishing to harvest all records from the UIUC Library should use
aggregator/gateway baseURL.  However, people wishing to harvest more
selectively should consider harvesting from one of the individual providers
described below:

   Sheet Music - http://sheetmusic.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai.asp

   Aerial Photos - http://aerialphotos.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai.asp

   EAD Finding Aids - http://findingaids.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai.asp

   Engineering Documents - http://engdocs.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai.asp

   Digital Imaging And - http://images.library.uiuc.edu:8081/cgi-bin/oai.exe
   Media Technology
   Initiative (DIMTI)

   Wolfram Mathworld - http://nsdl.grainger.uiuc.edu/WolframMathworld/oai.asp

   Wolfram Functions - http://nsdl.grainger.uiuc.edu/WolframFunctions/oai.asp

   Expect more to be added in the near future...

We also have a static OAI gateway provider at:

http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu/gateway/oai.asp/www.acnatsci.org/library/collections/imls/nlg/AcadNatSciStatic.xml

So far these new providers have passed the various tests we could think of
such as the Repository Explorer and our own internal validating harvester,
but if anyone encounters any problems harvesting from us please let us know.
  Comments about the reorganization in general are also welcome.  Anyone
interested in the nitty-gritty details can take a look at our internal
planning document at http://128.174.36.55/oaiprovidersnew.htm although it
doesn't exactly reflect everything we have done.

Kind regards,
	Tom
--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects