[OAI-general] Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck@iastate.edu
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:12:58 -0500

    _Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship_

   I am greatly interested in current data and key literature on UnCited
Scholarship. I have searched Google and found several select items, for example:

David P. Hamilton (1990). "Publishing by and for?-  the numbers
_Science_, New Series, 250 (4986) (December 7): 1331-1332.
[ http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/hamilton1.html  ]

David P. Hamilton (1991). "Research papers: who's uncited now?,"
_Science_, New Series,  251 (4989) (January 4):  25.
[http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/hamilton2.html ]

John A. Tainer; Helmut A. Abt; Lowell L. Hargens; David M. Bott; F. W. Lancaster; James H. Pannell; Edward B. Nuhfer; Charles L. McGehee; William A. Banks; David A. Pendlebury (1991) "Science, citation, and funding," _Science_  251 (5000) (March 22):1408-1411.
[http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/pendlebury.html  ]

Eugene Garfield (1998). "Commentary: I had a dream ... about
uncitedness," _The Scientist_ 12 (14) (July 6): 10.
[http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1998/July/comm_980706.html  ]

Quentin L.Burrell (2002). "Will this paper ever be cited?," _Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology_ 53(3)(February): 232-2002

For a homogenous set of papers given the average rate at which a paper attracts citations, Burrell calculates the probability that a paper will ever be cited assuming it has not been cited in a given time. The longer the elapsed time without citation the greater the likelihood it will never be cited.
[ http://www.asis.org/Publications/JASIS/vol53n03.html ]

Charles A. Schwartz (1997). "The rise and fall of uncitedness," _College & Research Libraries_ 58: (January): 19-29.

Large-scale uncitedness refers to the remarkable proportion of articles that do not receive a single citation within five years of publication. Equally remarkable is the brief and troubled history of this area of inquiry, which was prone to miscalculation, misinterpretation, and politicization. This article reassesses large-scale uncitedness as both a general phenomenon in the scholarly communication system and a case study of library and information science, where its rate is 72 percent.

[http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ACRL/Publications/Journals_Monographic_Series/College_and_Research_Libraries/Back_Issues_1997/January97/CandRL_January_1997_abstracts.htm ]

 I am also (particularly)  interested in Any and All articles / reports /studies / documents relating to the value of conventional Peer Review within the context of Uncitedness of Peer Viewed publications [Please do not crucify me for raising the issue]:-)

   As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, questions, critiques,
Government Rebuilding Contracts, and/or Cosmic Insights are Most Welcome.

  Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Current and Key Librarian