[OAI-general] interoperability projects at VT and some other pointers

Fox, Edward fox@vt.edu
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:18:00 -0400

Hi!

Many thanks for your note. Please see some items below my signature.

Regards, Ed

Edward A. Fox
Director: CITIDEL, DLRL, Internet TIC@VT, NDLTD
Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, 660 McBryde Hall, M/C 0106
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061 USA; Ph: +1-540-231-5113, FAX
+1-540-231-6075
Mobile: +1-540-230-6266; fox@vt.edu; http://fox.cs.vt.edu

* Interoperability is a key theme of work at our Digital Library
Research Laboratory, which has home page http://www.dlib.vt.edu/

* One project is called Open Digital Libraries. This is the focus of the
PhD work of Hussein Suleman. He should graduate late this year and then
move into a teaching or research position.  See the link
http://oai.dlib.vt.edu/odl/. We invite others to make use of the
components there, and to help add into the suite of tools to promote
interoperability. I'll give a paper on this at ECDL next week.

* Building on the ODL effort is the DL in a box effort. See
http://dlbox.nudl.org/. This is part of the work we are undertaking with
support from NSDL.  The PI on the overall project is
	Su-shing Chen [suchen@cise.ufl.edu]
Our other co-PI is
	Joe Futrelle [futrelle@ncsa.uiuc.edu]
The  DL in a box effort aims toward a collection of components,
functioning in a coherent framework, that can be adapted by groups, such
as those in the Collection Track of NSDL (www.nsdl.org).

* For more general info on digital libraries, see a collection of web
pages from
	http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~dlib/rcontents.htm
Or see key sites like www.dlib.org

* A good reference is
A. Paepcke, C. K. Chang, H. Garcia-Molina, and T. Winograd:
Interoperability for Digital Libraries Worldwide. Communications of the
ACM 41:4, pp. 33-43, 1998