[OAI-general] RE: OAI-general digest, Vol 1 #74 - 1 msg

ePrints Support support@eprints.org
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:26:23 +0000

The problem that you can get people to do it once, but if you have more than
one database they'll get annoyed and not put the same info in all.

Any "importer" will probably require some in house scripting as there is
unlikely to be a 1-1 mapping from the two metadata sets.

If you control both archives there are some possibilities. What is the other
archive, how is it accessed & updated?

I'm adding a bulk-importer to eprints, but that's probably not what you want.

I've mentioned it before but the biggest goad to getting people to enter
their information in our departement DB was our "people info pages" eg.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/info/people/wh
A member of academic staff gets upset if the number of papers they're listed
as having writen is lower than the truth.

--if you don't care about the eprints.org software stop reading here--
I've added a feature to eprints-2 which creates files containing chunks of
HTML (similar to the browse subjects in ep-1) but also creates chunks without
the wrapping template, so these fragments can be exported and included in
other pages in your site.

The initial test run of this is being used by aktors.org (although they
are exporting it by year rather than by person). See
http://www.aktors.org/publications/Nindex.php3
this is just our first test. The page contains the php code line
readline( "http://eprints.aktors.org/view/year/2001.include" );
The /view/ directory is where all views get generated, currently it also
generates .html versions:
http://eprints.aktors.org/view/year/2001.html
but these could not usefully be imported into another page.
You can even create each item as a table row, but that's more complex
to customise.