[OAI-general] Re: Kepler: Author-Based Archivelets

Tim Brody tdb198@soton.ac.uk
Thu, 31 May 2001 21:07:29 +0100

[re. kepler architecture]

> The similarities between eprint-archive and kepler:
> Both are OAI compliant and support self-archiving.
>
> The differences:
> Kepler is targeted to typical users, it's easy to use and self installing,
> like most windows applications. From the user's point of view, they don't
> necessarily know anything about webserver/oai/database, the only thing
> left is to register it and share documents. To reach this purpose, we
> implement a very simple http server, which is self-configured, supports
> and only supports OAI request/document download, this server and a simple
> editor are encapsulated into a installshield package.

Apologies if you have already considered this:

Would it be possible to use existing web servers to provide the same
functionality as kepler?

Although not intended, I believe OAI responses could be served from static
pages. Given suitable scripts/GUI authors would upload their documents and
related metadata, without having to have their archivelet online to support
harvesting?

(I can foresee a relatively simple PHP/ASP script that would allow an author
to manage his/her archivelet from a web page)

All the best,
Tim Brody